Friday, July 2, 2010

The Dave



One year ago this month, Rusty and I decided we were going to start following Dave Ramsey's plan for getting out of debt. We bought the book, made a budget, downgraded our cable and cell phone plans, and started selling anything we could find that we didn't want or need anymore. We jokingly referred to it as "THE DAVE." My family still asks us, "How's the Dave going?" So I started thinking about how much progress we had really made in this year's time. I got excited and depressed all at the same time. So far, we have saved our emergency fund, and paid off about $9,000 of debt . Keep in mind we are on a teacher and construction worker's salary. But I still keep thinking how much MORE we could have paid off if I had not bought clothes, stuff for my house, etc. I am writing this to encourage myself to keep going, because I have been slacking off a little bit lately! I credit it to being the summertime and me having a "vacation" mindset about everything! I am applying all profit I make off of my frames to "The Dave" (student loans). I try not to think about how long it is going to take us to pay off the student loans. I just have to take one day at a time and faithfully trust God to give me the dedication to keep going strong!

1 comment:

  1. hey girl! keep going strong with it! jared and i are on a very similar plan!! it's very slow-going-especially with me being at home- but we're trying to be faithful to it! it's always so good to hear that someone else is going through the same thing especially when it seems like everyone else is living "extravagantly"!!

    ReplyDelete